Re: Deciphering the Kchibo Radio DSP-chip Puzzle

Gary DeBock

Hi Jim,

I've also transplanted a 7.5" type 61 AM loopstick into the KK-D6110 and obtained a great boost in AM sensitivity, although the poorly shielded digital board (with a tack-soldered copper shield) does allow some RF whining hash to escape to the upgrade loopstick, even when it is externally mounted. Considering the rather low price of the model, it might be worth it to install better shielding on the digital board, and see if this bargain modified ULR can chase TP's and TA's like the 7.5" loopstick PL-380's.

As for determining the best number of coil turns, the ultimate scientific procedure would be to run reception tests (using a signal generator) under controlled conditions for multiple test radios of differing coil inductances over the desired frequency range, such as was done using four different 7.5" loopstick PL-380's (300, 400, 500 and 550 uh) in the spring. This is probably unnecessary for the average tinkerer, who can get great results simply by trial and error.

73, Gary

I transplanted a 7.5" loopstick wound with Litz onto the KK-D6110 and it does give it a substantial boost. The stock loopstick is easy to access, as are the solder terminals. It's disappointing, but not surprising, that this model does not contain the si4734 chip. My question to the group is: is there any way for a layman, other than trial and error, to determine the best number of turns of Litz wire?