As you probably know, because of the response delay in the RSSI and S/N readings on the PL-380 digital display, simply watching the readings in unlikely to be of much benefit in peaking the inductively-coupled external loops. For casual DXing I've had good results listening carefully for an audio signal peak while slowly tuning the external loops, and then fine-tuning the peak (using the display's S/N reading) as the loop's frequency is carefully adjusted from that point.

For urgent DXpedition situations like a sunrise TP opening on an ocean beach (which may be in total darkness) I simply use a modified ICF-2010 SSB spotting receiver to find TP targets, then tune the external loop to light up the ICF-2010's LED signal display on that frequency. The external loop is then perfectly peaked to boost reception on the PL-380, which only needs to be brought within inductive coupling range for a huge DXing boost. The entire procedure can be done in total darkness, and provides great results.

73, Gary

In a message dated 7/6/2010 1:54:22 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, rpollock@... writes:

The trick is how to peak the inductively coupled loop, be it air core or ferrite bar.  Any tips?

From: ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com [ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of D1028Gary@aol.com [D1028Gary@aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 3:32 PM
To: ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [ultralightdx] Question about ultralight and loops for MW

Hello Sarmento,

Many air core and ferrite core external loops give excellent performance with the Tecsun PL-380 and PL-310 models, and make DXing a lot more fun.

Depending upon your DXing preferences, you can choose a transplanted ferrite loop (like the 7.5" loopstick PL-380), an inductively coupled ferrite loop (like the Q-stick) or a direct or inductively-coupled air core loop. All of these antenna designs have performance tradeoffs, and no one design is perfect for every situation.

Most DXers who wish to avoid "surgery" on the radio use air or ferrite core loops with the inductive coupling system, which gives an excellent performance boost (depending on the size of the loop) with an extra tuned circuit to aid in selectivity. The directly-connected ferrite and air core loops always require modification to the radio (and possibly the addition of other external hard-wired components), but avoid the need for a separate tuning step.

My own favorite for convenient DXpedition usage is the 3' portable PVC air core loop, which is described in the photo article at  http://www.mediafire.com/?hqyzzu1mvyt . This tuned passive loop provides a powerful inductive coupling boost for the barefoot PL-380, can be assembled in 2 minutes, and will fit inside a packed compact car trunk.

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

In a message dated 7/6/2010 4:12:29 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, sarmento.campos@sarmento.eng.br writes:

Hi

After have seen info about these new DSP receivers (like PL310/380) :

http://bbs.tecsun.com.cn/0002.asp?open=186695

I wonder if it would support loop antennas, like square air coil or even ferrite loops.

If one issue to add : living near big power MW stations.

Have anyone tried MW dx in this conditions ?

Regards
Sarmento - Rio de Janeiro - Brazil